KATHMANDU: Leaders of royalist and pro-Hindu factions have accused Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli of attempting to disrupt a mass rally scheduled for Jestha 15 (May 29) warning that government interference could lead to unrest similar to the violence that occurred on Chaitra 15 (March 28).
Speaking at a discussion with editors in Kathmandu on Tuesday, Rastriya Prajatantra Party (RPP) Chairperson Rajendra Lingden alleged that Prime Minister Oli was deliberately trying to provoke confrontation by mobilizing his party cadres near Ratnapark, where royalist forces plan to stage a peaceful rally calling for the restoration of the monarchy and Sanatan Hindu religion.
“The Prime Minister is attempting to provoke unrest against our May 29 event,” Lingden said. “He has made statements that either require clarification or warrant his resignation.”
Lingden further accused the government of suppressing constitutionally guaranteed freedoms and called on journalists to report impartially.
The May 29 rally, organized by royalist and Hindu nationalist groups, is expected to draw thousands of participants demanding the reversal of Nepal’s republican, secular, and federal systems.
Rastriya Prajatantra Party Nepal Chairperson Kamal Thapa echoed Lingden’s remarks, asserting that the time had come to revisit the country’s post-2006 political order.
“Royalists, who had been scattered and inactive, are now united,” Thapa said. “We have come to the realization that this is the most favorable time to revoke republicanism, federalism, and secularism.”
Thapa also criticized the government’s alleged plan to introduce laws branding opposition to the republic as treasonous.
“From being in a fragmented state, royalists have now come together,” he added. “This realization is crucial at a time when political parties are actively trying to destroy the ideological existence of monarchists.”
Nabaraj Subedi, coordinator of the United People’s Movement Committee — an alliance of groups advocating monarchy and Sanatan Dharma — expressed concern that the government’s stance may lead to violence during the protest.
“We are in a decisive phase of our movement. It will remain non-violent. However, we fear the government’s behavior may lead to a repeat of the violence we witnessed on March 28,” Subedi said.
Subedi took strong exception to Prime Minister Oli’s recent remark that “Kathmandu must be under UML’s control from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 15 Jestha”, which coincides exactly with the royalist rally.
“The Prime Minister’s comments are deeply troubling, objectionable, and provocative,” he said. “We urge the media to bear witness to this situation and report it with responsibility.”
The royalist alliance has emphasized that the protest will be peaceful and within the bounds of constitutional freedoms. However, the overlapping political mobilization by the CPN-UML has raised fears of potential clashes in Kathmandu on the day of the rally.