KATHMANDU: Stay updated with Nepal News evening briefing, bringing you the day’s most important developments from Nepal and across the globe. From politics and economy to sports, entertainment, and culture, we deliver a concise roundup of the top news you need to know.
EC Recommends to Govt for Three Days of Public Holiday
The Election Commission (EC) has recommended to the government to declare three days of public holiday for the upcoming House of Representatives (HoR) election. The government has been urged to announce public holidays from March 4 to 6. Joint Secretary and Spokesperson at EC, Narayan Prasad Bhattarai, said that the government had been recommended to declare holidays for three days- a day before the election, Election Day (March 5) and a day after the election. Bhattarai argued there were already public holidays for the Holi festival on March 2 (in hilly and mountainous region) and March 3 in (Tarai/Madhes). So, giving a public holiday on March 4, a day before voting, would help people from different professions and staying in distant places reach the polling stations conveniently, he added.
Communist Unity Will Incorporate UML as Well, Hopes NCP Coordinator Dahal
Coordinator of the Nepali Communist Party (NCP), Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’, has expressed his belief that communist unity would finally incorporate the CPN (UML), creating a broader leftist front in the country. Coordinator Dahal said it amidst a program where the leaders from UML were welcomed to the Nepali Communist Party (NCP) as new entrants. Former chief of Kirtipur Municipality, Ramesh Maharjan, and former chairman of ward 6, Nhuchhe Maharjan, were welcomed to NCP by Coordinator Dahal. In the program held at NCP central office, Koteshwor, the Dahal expressed the cooperation of the nationalist forces would give a positive message in Nepali politics. Leader Maharjan vowed he would devote to ensuring victory of Rupa Maharjan, who is fielded from NCP in constituency no 10 of Kathmandu, for upcoming House of Representatives election. Together at the event to welcome new leaders were NCP leader Bam Dev Gautam and others.
RPP Urges Election Commission to Enforce Code of Conduct Strictly
The Rastriya Prajatantra Party (RPP) has urged the Election Commission to take the issue of enforcing the election code of conduct seriously. Issuing a statement today, party spokesperson Mohan Shrestha said that the party with the bell election symbol has been violating the election code of conduct nationwide by ringing bells in a manner that causes noise pollution. “It is unfortunate that the Commission appears to be turning a blind eye and deaf ear while the party with the bell symbol continues to violate the election code across the country by creating noise pollution. If those with the khukuri symbol start roaming around brandishing khukuris, or if those with the dozer symbol begin operating dozers in ways that obstruct roads and highways, would that also be acceptable to the Election Commission?” the statement said. The party has also expressed concern over incidents in Rautahat that have disrupted social harmony and communal unity, potentially inciting sectarian tensions. It appealed to all concerned to maintain social harmony and unity.
20k Publicity Materials Violating Code of Conduct Removed
As the election campaign for the House of Representatives to be held on March 5 acceleratees, the local administration has removed about 20,000 publicity materials that were installed in violation of the election code of conduct. The Dhanusha District Administration Office has removed leaflets, pamphlets, banners and posters that were pasted haphazardly by various candidates within the Janakpurdham municipal area. According to the administration, the materials pasted in violation of the code of conduct have been removed from public places, electricity poles, government buildings and roadsides. The administration had given candidates and political parties a day’s time on Thursday to remove the materials that violate the rules. However, when the materials were not removed within the specified time, the administration took the initiative to remove them. Dhanusha Chief District Officer Prem Prasad Luitel said that the publicity materials pasted haphazardly at various places in Janakpurdham violated the election code of conduct, and hence removed as a measure of action. He said legal action will be taken if such materials are pasted again. The administration has reiterated its call to parties and candidates to follow the election code of conduct while campaigning.
Tightened Restrictions on Sales and Distribution of Alcoholic Beverages in Baitadi
The local administration in Baitadi district has exercised stricter measures on the sales, distribution and transportation of alcoholic beverages in the district in view of the March 5 election to House of Representatives. The restrictions are enforced in the district to ensure that the upcoming election is conducted in a free, fair and fear-free environment. According to Bhoj Lal Tharu, Administrative Officer at the District Administration Office, Baitadi, the sale and distribution of alcohol have been prohibited after 7:00 PM starting from February 21 until the election is over. He stated that the decision to tighten regulations on the sale, distribution and transportation of alcoholic beverages was made after holding discussions with business operators to manage and regulate their sale and consumption. Administrative Officer Tharu further said that during the silence period, the sale and distribution of alcoholic products will be completely banned. Furthermore, the local administration decided to prohibit transportation of alcohol from February 23 to March 8. He shared, “After discussions with business operators, we have decided to regulate the sale, distribution, and transportation of alcoholic products.”
Pro-Monarchy Group Demonstrates in Kathmandu Demanding Hindu State Declaration
A pro-monarchy group staged a protest in Kathmandu demanding the declaration of Nepal as a Vedic Sanatan Hindu nation with a constitutional monarchy. The demonstration was held at Maitighar Mandala, where supporters gathered to press their demand for reinstating a constitutional monarchy and reestablishing Nepal as a Hindu kingdom. The group also organized a religious harmony rally from Maitighar to Baneshwor. Protesters called for the restoration of the Hindu Kingdom of Nepal and emphasized maintaining religious harmony. During the rally, participants chanted slogans such as “Restore the Hindu state” and “Reinstate the monarchy.” They also demanded the release of Durga Prasai.
Nepalgunj Customs Collect 45% of Annual Revenue Target in First Seven Months
The Nepalganj Customs Office has collected 45 percent of its annual revenue target in the first seven months of the current fiscal year. For fiscal year 2082/83, the office had set an annual target of Rs 24.545 billion. As of the end of Magh, it has collected Rs 11.046 billion, equivalent to 45.01 percent of the target, according to Customs Chief Janardan Paudel. He noted that the remaining five months will require collection of 55 percent of the target, presenting a significant challenge. So far, no month has seen full achievement of the monthly revenue targets. Monthly collection performance in the first seven months was as follows: Shrawan 74%, Bhadra 69%, Ashoj 87%, Kartik 72%, Mangsir 83%, Poush 83%, and Magh 88%. In comparison, Nepalganj Customs collected 74.64% of its annual target in FY 2081/82 and 63.35% in FY 2080/81. Despite expectations that revenue would increase following the establishment of the integrated check-post at the Jamunaha border with India, targets have not been fully met in recent years. Paudel highlighted that in the first seven months of the current fiscal year, revenue collection exceeded the same period last year by more than Rs 92.4 million, indicating an upward trend even if the annual target remains challenging. In FY 2081/82, Nepalganj Customs collected Rs 10.954 billion in the same seven-month period.
Acting CEC Bhandari Urges All Not to Go By Rumors Over Uncertainty of Election
Acting Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Ram Prasad Bhandari has appealed everyone to ignore the rumors being spread by some individuals that election to the House of Representatives will not be held on March 5. Addressing the orientation program on election publicity organized by the Gorkhapatra Corporation here today, Acting CEC Bhandari called on the public not to be misled by such rumors and assured everyone that the election will be conducted on the stipulated time. He acknowledged that an enabling environment for election was created in the country due to the media professionals shouldering their responsibilities with integrity. “Elections are essential for good-governance. Election will grant authority to maintain good-governance for five year. Election Code of Conduct is currently in force and many complaints have been received regarding its violation,” mentioned Bhandari, pledging to look into those complaints. Addressing the journalists, he emphasized that the news dissemination must be carried out complying with the code of conduct put in place to ensure that the election is held in free, fair and free-free environment. He pointed out that conducting opinion poll is prohibited under the code of conduct.
Hospitals Urged to Provide Details of Those Injured During Gen Z Movement by Feb 27
The government has instructed all health institutions (hospitals) to provide details of those injured during the Gen Z movement last September. Dr Prakash Budhathoki, Spokesperson for the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP), shared that all health institutions involved in treating those injured during the protests have been instructed to provide complete details to the Ministry by February 27. According to Spokesperson Dr Budhathoki, the instruction was issued in line with a coordination committee formed to make treatment and relief efforts of the injured more effective. The MoHP asked all the health institutions to submit the details by February 27 for timely completion of listing, classification and reclassification of the injured ones. Dr Budhathoki informed that the applications received by February 27 will be reviewed after which the final list of the injured persons will be published. So far, classification details of 200 injured persons have been received, it was shared. According to the Ministry, although many people were hurt during the protests, some individuals with minor injuries may not have come forward as they are not entitled to any benefits.
APF FC Go Top of National League with 4–1 Comeback Victory
Nepal APF FC climbed to the top of the National League standings after securing an emphatic 4–1 comeback win over Nav Jan Jagriti Club on Sunday. The league resumed following a break for mofussil Gold Cup tournaments, and APF made an immediate impact. With the victory, APF now have 16 points from six matches, edging past Machhindra FC on goal difference to claim the top spot. Nav Jan Jagriti, meanwhile, suffered their sixth straight defeat. The Bara-based side have lost all six of their matches and are yet to open their account in the league. At the ANFA Complex in Satdobato, Nishchay Thapa put Nav Jan Jagriti ahead in the 30th minute. However, APF captain Hari Karki restored parity in the 43rd minute. APF dominated early in the second half, scoring three times within 15 minutes of the restart. Yuvraj Khadka struck in the opening minute of the half to give APF a 2–1 lead. Samiraj Thokar added a third in the 56th minute, and Anish Gharti Chhetri netted two minutes later to wrap up the win. Samiraj Thokar was named Player of the Match for his standout performance.
Cristiano Ronaldo Reaches 500 Goals After Turning 30
Portuguese star striker Cristiano Ronaldo has reached the milestone of 500 goals scored after the age of 30. The 41-year-old forward, currently playing for Al Nassr FC, achieved the feat after netting twice against Al Hazem FC on Saturday. Ronaldo has scored 500 goals over the past 11 years since turning 30, setting a remarkable record. His two goals helped Al Nassr secure a 4–0 victory over Al Hazem. With the win, Al Nassr climbed to the top of the Saudi Pro League table with eight wins. Ronaldo has now scored a total of 964 goals in his professional career and remains on course to achieve the rare milestone of 1,000 career goals.
Nepathya to Perform in Siliguri for the First Time
Renowned Nepali folk-rock band Nepathya is set to perform in Siliguri for the first time this coming Saturday (February 28). The concert will bring the band’s signature Nepali folk-rock sound to the gateway city of Northeast India, which also serves as a resting point for the hill settlements of West Bengal and Sikkim. For the band, the Siliguri concert will also mark their first international performance of 2026. After completing a series of shows across four cities in Nepal last week, the group has already begun final preparations for the upcoming event. Nepathya has previously performed in nearby regions such as Sikkim and Shillong, building a strong presence among Nepali-speaking audiences there. To the north of Siliguri lie hill settlements with a significant Nepali-speaking population. In recent years, the city has also grown increasingly multicultural, with notable migration from various regions contributing to its expanding diversity. When Nepathya holds concerts in Nepal’s border districts such as Ilam and Jhapa, large numbers of fans travel from Indian towns including Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Mirik, Sikkim, Dooars, and Jaigaon. Recently, attendance from Siliguri has noticeably increased. This time, however, local organizers expect not only audiences from those Indian towns but also concertgoers traveling from Jhapa and Ilam in Nepal to attend the Siliguri show.
Bangladesh to Resume Tourist Visa Services for Indians from Monday
Tourist visa services from Bangladeshi diplomatic missions located in India will resume on Monday, a Bangladesh Foreign Ministry official stated on Sunday. The Bangladesh government had suspended tourist visa services from its diplomatic missions in India due to security reasons. However, after the Bangladesh election, the situation has improved, and the visa service will be fully resumed from Monday. “Including the Bangladesh High Commission in Delhi, and in various cities of India such as Guwahati, Agartala, Mumbai and Kolkata–wherever Bangladeshi diplomatic missions are located–apart from tourist visas, other visa services were mostly ongoing. However, tourist visas had generally been stopped, though they were still issued in urgent cases,” a Bangladesh Foreign Ministry official said on Sunday. “Although we did not formally announce it as stopped, we are not formally announcing it as resumed either; in fact, it was ongoing and will now be expanded widely from Monday,” the official told ANI. Additionally, around the election held in Bangladesh on February 12, the Bangladesh government had instructed its missions in India to suspend tourist visas from January 15 to February 15. In urgent cases, visas were issued. Apart from India, due to security reasons, services were also completely stopped for countries such as Bhutan and Nepal. Now, after reviewing the overall situation, all types of visas, including tourist visas, are being fully resumed from all places from Monday.
Trump Hikes US Global Tariff Rate to 15 Percent
President Donald Trump raised the global duty on imports into the United States to 15 percent on Saturday, doubling down on his promise to maintain his aggressive tariff policy a day after the Supreme Court ruled much of it illegal. Trump said on his Truth Social platform that after a thorough review of Friday’s “extraordinarily anti-American decision” by the court to rein in his tariff program, the administration was hiking the import levies “to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15% level.” Shortly after the court’s 6-3 ruling that rejected the president’s authority to impose tariffs under a 1977 economic emergency powers act, Trump had initially announced a new 10 percent global levy by invoking a different legal avenue. At the same time, the Republican launched an extraordinary personal attack on the conservative justices who had sided with the majority, slamming their “disloyalty” and calling them “fools and lap dogs.” The ruling was a stunning rebuke by the high court, which has largely sided with the president since he returned to office, and marked a major political setback in striking down Trump’s signature economic policy that has roiled the global trade order.