KATHMANDU: Nearly half of the candidates contesting the March 5 House of Representatives election in Kathmandu have yet to open mandatory election bank accounts, officials said.
Out of 250 candidates who filed nominations across the capital’s 10 constituencies, only 120 have opened dedicated election accounts so far, according to Kathmandu Election Officer Thakur Prasad Bhattarai.
The Election Commission has directed that all election-related income and expenses must be conducted through a separate bank or financial institution account, as required by the Election Code of Conduct. Candidates receiving or spending more than Rs 25,000 are required to transact through this account.
Commission Spokesperson Narayan Prasad Bhattarai said candidates may be required to submit bank details, bills, and vouchers if instructed. Spending limits range from Rs 2.5 million to Rs 3.3 million, depending on constituency geography.